Opportunities in Austria for International Students

There are thousands of opportunities for international students in Austria. You have so many reasons to study here. Almost all the universities and institutions of learning in this great country are ranked among the world’s best.

It is believed that Austria is not as big as UK, US, or France, it is relatively small, but does mightier things more than other developed countries. For more than 50 years, they have been welcoming foreign students, enhancing their career and lives.

Life in Austria is very beautiful. You will never regret coming to Austria to study. And a lot of opportunities await you when you are done with your studies.

Available Job Opportunities

There are a wide range of job opportunities for students from EU-8 states such as Slovenia, Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Estonia. So, such students don’t need a permit to live and work here after their graduations.

On the other hand, students from non EU countries need employment permit if they wish to work (marginal employment inclusive). Some menial jobs are available like working in hotels, call centers, malls, and hospitals. The maximum time you can work is 20 hours per week.

At the expiration of your residential permit, you can stay for six more months provided your residency is approved by the competent authorities. Within this period, you can also search for jobs.

For students that will do paid internship, their employers should try to receive a confirmation from AMS, two weeks to the beginning of the work. The work permit is given to you in so far it doesn’t obstruct your studies which were the main purpose of your stay.

Major Subjects of Attractions

Students who come for research, Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral programs are attracted by so many factors. Firstly, the standard of education in Austria is very high, and they have erudite scholars as teachers, coordinators and professors.

Some of the major subjects are Applied Sciences, Medical and Pharmaceutical studies, Banking and Finance, Business and Management, English and German, Business Management, European Energy Business, Mathematics, Information Technology, Export-Oriented Management, Facility and Real Estate Management, Media production and so on.

Admission and Visa Process

If you are from EU countries, you don’t need a visa application. The only thing you will do is to go to your local resident registration office, and apply for a residence permit.

Students from non EU member states should apply from any university or institutions of their choice. Simply visit their site, and apply through their admission office, if the application form is available online.

To be eligible, you need to prove your mastery of German Language, by presenting your certificates (B1 / B2 level) according to the European Union. Usually, research and Master’s students will not be required to present any certificate or diploma in German, because they are essentially designed for foreign students.


Write your comment here with feedback on this article.

Related Links

Following topic(s) are related to this article.