Changes to International Student Program from June 1, 2014

New rules for international students have been established in Canada’s education system. This is aimed at protecting the country’s global academic reputation and minimizing the potential for misuse or fraud of the program. The new rule took effect on June 1, 2014.

The New Rule

  • Ensures that the students are serious with their studies while in the country
  • Reduce the issuance  of study permits to students at designated learning institutions, provinces, and territories and
  • Allow full-time foreign students enrolled at certain institutions the privilege of working part-time outside the campus and full-time when the school is on holiday or vacation without a work permit.

Changing Institutions

If you wish to change your course of study or your institution, make sure you fulfill all the conditions of your study permit and work permit, especially if you will work during your study periods.

Working off Campus

The new rules make it easier for students with study permits to work outside their schools. So, full-time students pursuing vocational, professional, or academic programs at selected learning institutions can:

  •  work off campus without any work permit
  • work up to 20 hours weekly when the school is in session and full-time during scheduled breaks, and
  • work off campus shortly after their graduation instead of waiting for six months

However, the students are expected to obtain a social insurance number to be able to work while studying in the country. This is very compulsory.

With effect from June 1, 2014, if you have a work permit and study permit. Keep in mind that the off-campus work permit program is now inactive because the new rule empowers you to work off-campus so far as you meet all the necessary requirements for working outside the campus.

The conditions for working off campus will now be written on your study permit. So, it means that to be able to work off campus, you must meet all the required conditions of the study permit.

Your duty and the responsibility of your employer is to ensure that you are permitted to work outside the campus without a work permit. If you are working off-campus without meeting the eligibility requirements, it is a breach of contract under immigration regulations, and you will be severely fined.

Work as Part of a Co-op/Internship Program

The new rule affects your eligibility to participate in the co-op or internship program:

  • With effect from June 1, 2014, you will provide a co-op work permit, which is separate from the usual study permit, before you can work.
  • You will not be eligible to work during your studies if you are studying either English or French as a second language, till you are certified to apply for a work permit by Labour Market Impact Assessment
  • You will work only if the work is an integral part of your professional, vocational, or academic training.

Applying for a Study Permit from within Canada

Starting from June 1, 2014 visitors to Canada and certain foreign nationals can apply for a study permit from within the country. These include:

  • Minor children at primary and secondary schools
  • Visiting or exchange students, and
  • Students that have completed a short-term program of study, which is required to work at designated institutions. 


Write your comment here with feedback on this article.

Related Links

The following topic is related to this article.