Part-time and Full-time Work Opportunities for Foreign Students in Canada

One of the amazing things you will enjoy in Canada as an international student is that you will gain access to valuable work experience either part-time or full-time work opportunities. Whichever you want, you will surely get it. Each of these options has its own benefits. We shall explain more as we move along in this write-up.

During your application, you must submit sufficient evidence that you are capable of paying for your tuition and living expenses all through the period of your studies.

There are myriads of work permit programs for foreign students. Working in Canada as an international student can open doors of opportunities for the future. You won’t regret working or studying in Canada, because it will be filled with glowing experiences.

Working Off-campus

International students can work 20 hours a week during academic sessions and full-time or 40 hours during vacation or scheduled breaks such as winter, summer, and spring breaks.


If your program requires a co-op or internship placement, then you will need the work as an essential part of completing your program of study. Your employer might require you to submit a copy of the school curriculum or an authorized letter from the institution you are attending.

But the work experience shouldn’t be more than 50% of your entire academic program. Your employer can reject your application or even file a report to your school if you are working more than 50% of your academic program. The internship program is one of the ways to enlighten you on your course of study.

On-campus Work Opportunities

Foreign students who have a valid study permit and who are currently studying full-time at accredited Canadian public/private universities or colleges can work in the institutions where they are attending. Some of the available work in most schools include working in restaurants, malls, offices, libraries, etc

International students can earn between C$7 – C$10 hourly. Those working full-time off campus during co-op terms can make between C$10- C$15 every hour. So, approximately, an international student working in Canada can earn C$400 to C$1000 every month.

Working After Graduation

Working after graduation will help you in gaining valuable work experience, especially if you are working in a related field of your study. If you work for a specified period of time successfully, you can now proceed and apply for permanent residency in Canada.

To qualify for this largesse, you must have graduated from a recognized institution in the province or territory such as CEGEP, university, or college. You can apply for the post-graduate work 90 days after the completion of your studies, in this case, the academic institution where you attended must have provided proof that you have met all the necessary requirements for your academic program. 

This work permit can assist you in working in any institution or occupation. If you are not satisfied with your employer, you can apply for any job anywhere you wish.


Write your comment here with feedback on this article.

Related Links

The following topic is related to this article.